Saturday, April 30, 2011

and i quote 8

"Mmmm...  Good sauce...  Adds some kick!" - An American guy I was sitting across from at the shared table in a warung (local restaurant) in Ubud, Bali.  He was dining with a friend and had just poured sauce from a red bottle in the middle of the table onto his meal.  I didn't have the heart to tell him that the small label on the bottle facing in my direction had a picture of tomatoes on it, not chili peppers.

"Dear guests: To maintain the purpose of our restaurant, please refrain from transactions concerning CDs, massage oils, health drugs etc.  Thank you." - A sign on the napkin holder in another warung in Kuta, Bali (the party region).  People clearly must get distracted from their food at this place!

"We all have our challenges to overcome in life.  I was born a Catholic." - One of the international yoga instructors conducting a workshop at the Bali Spirit Festival, displaying a very non-yogi attitude during her session.  I was really surprised and happy she was not one of the instructors at my yoga teacher training.

"Can you settle a bet for us?  How do you pronounce your name?" - Jane, a newlywed friend-of-a-friend honeymooning in Bali, to me.  I'd introduced myself to her and her new husband Linus a few minutes earlier.  They had different perspectives on what my name was and wanted to find out whose listening skills were more accurate.  (Turned out it was Jane.).

"Can I use this?" - Putu, the Balinese healer I went to last year, to me during a treatment session this year.  He was referring to an inappropriate part of my body.  Needless to say, he is no longer my healer.

"Poor Canadian girl...  So innocent!" - Vasudev, the 40-year-old Norwegian man formerly known as Bjorn in my yoga teacher training, to me.  A group of us from the class were at dinner and the conversation had turned to mind-altering substances.  I think he thought my lack of experience stemmed from a lack of opportunity.  I explained to him that it was by choice.

"That's how they stay so white!" - Beret, another student in the class, making a joke during the environmental toxins lecture.  I had just shared that, ten years ago, I learned that polar bears have traces of Scotchguard (the carpet/upholstery stain prevention chemical) in their bodies. 

"You have a beautiful voice!  You should use it more." - Etel, my Swedish friend in yoga teacher training, to me, giving me some feedback.  We were doing practice teaching and each had to do 10 minutes of a 90-minute vinyasa flow class.  I had just closed our last session by sharing the manifesto of encouragement during savasana.  People were moved to tears.

1 comment:

  1. Can I use this?? Wow!! You should have pointed to your foot and said the same! I can't beleieve that!!
    Polar bears/scotchguard one is hilirous!!
    Ps: you have to share your hidden singing talent when u get back :).
    Dave

    ReplyDelete