Wednesday, July 21, 2010

road trip

I'm in Bundaberg right now, on a trip up the east coast.  After renting a car in Sydney and learning how to navigate the other side of the road and car in rush hour traffic, Priscilla and I started heading north.  We've made a lot of stops along the way, both along the coast and inland, and it's crazy how many places the scenery has reminded me of - Ontario's cottage country, rural Alberta, the Maritimes, California, Florida, Hawaii, England - who knew Australia's east coast had so much to offer?

It's been really interesting for me to see how Priscilla and I relate differently to navigation.  She prefers having turn-by-turn directions and a detailed map for everything, and gets antsy if she's not sure where to go.  I can relate to that because I used to be like that too, but now, not so much.  Unless we're in a big city, I'm happy just having the destination in mind and a general sense of where that is compared to where we are now.  Then all I have to do is just get in the car and drive, and look for signs along the way to help guide the journey.  I'm not really worried about wrong turns because sometimes you find something way more interesting than what you were looking for in the first place, and I know that eventually I'll figure out how to get where I want to go.  I can't help but wonder to what extent this relates to real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment